When I first saw Michael Fassbender appear in Inglorious Basterds, my first thought was: “This guy looks just like Errol Flynn!!!!!” It’s not exactly that Fassbender looks exactly like Flynn, it’s more that he has the same charm, mischievousness and seductiveness. This had me thinking about how occasionally, you find in an actor, a strange resemblance to another actor from another decade. And some of these resemblances can be crazy.
So here is my list of who should play whom in the biopic on….
1. JOHNNY WEISSMULLER: DOMINIC WEST
The craziest resemblance of them all!
2. KIM NOVAK: ABBIE CORNISH (I love this one)
3. GRACE KELLY: JANUARY JONES
All the credit here goes to Matthew Weiner who made of Betty Draper on Mad Men a replica of Grace Kelly. January Jones has the same beauty (though in a more modern way) and effortless grace.
4. ANNA KARINA: LÉA SEYDOUX
5. PAUL NEWMAN: PATRICK WILSON (physical resemblance only, not at all the same kind of actor)
6. SHIRLEY MACLAINE: CAREY MULLIGAN
This one I’d like to talk about. The two seem to me to be kindred spirits. It struck me when I saw Mulligan in Shame. She manages to convey an incredible cheerfulness mixed with crushing despair just as MacLaine did in Some came running or The Apartment.
7. LIZA MINNELLI: ANNE HATHAWAY
So what do you think?